Interested In Becoming a GMHA Landlord?

The following items are required to become a Greene County Metropolitan Housing landlord.

1. The rental unit should at least meet the minimum basic Housing Quality Standards (HQS) and be ready for occupancy.

2. Among other advertisements, you can list your unit for availability free of charge by contacting our receptionist at 937-376-2908

3. Screen potential assisted residents as you would a potential unassisted resident.

4. Understand how the resident can afford your asking rent.

Each resident is expected to pay between 30% and 40% of their gross income toward their rent and utilities, so while one family may not be able to afford the unit, a different family might.

5. Fill in the Request for Tenancy Approval (RTA) form completely.

  1. The resident and property owner must sign the RTA.
  2. Direct Deposit is mandatory for all property owners for Housing Assistance Payments (HAP). The direct deposit form must be completed and returned to GMHA before any payments will be issued.
  3. GMHA is required to issue owners/agents a 1099 at tax time. A properly filled out W-9 is required for each tax entity under which you do business with GMHA.
    1. The owner name must exactly matches the entity name on the W-9 form, the voided check and direct deposit paperwork.

6. GMHA will check information on each property location to ensure the following:

  1. There are no outstanding building code violations,
  2. There are no outstanding property taxes,
  3. The Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) payee information matches the owner as listed on the Greene County website, and
  4. That the resident can “afford” the unit based upon HUD’s required formula,
  5. If the family is responsible for paying for water, the owner’s water utility account must be current.

7. Once the unit passes the inspection, GMHA performs a rent reasonableness assessment to ensure that the rent the owner is requesting is “reasonable” for the proposed unit.

If the assessment does not reflect the rent as “reasonable”, the owner will be asked to reduce the requested rent to a “reasonable” amount. The owner is not obligated to accept the adjusted rental amount.

NOTE: The resident-paid utilities and the owner-paid utilities as submitted on the RTA must exactly match the information listed in the owner’s Residential Lease Agreement. Any discrepancies on your lease will delay the HAP payment.